Chlorofluorocarbons are nontoxic, nonflammable chemicals containing atoms of carbon, chlorine and fluorine. The main cause of ozone layer depletion is the Chlorofluorocarbons or CFCs. These anthropogenic chemical compounds are released by aerosols, solvents, refrigerators, spray, air-conditioners, etc.
Explore more: Ozone Layer Depletion
Here are solved important MCQs on chlorofluorocarbons.
1. Which of the following statements is true about chlorofluorocarbons?
(a) Chlorofluorocarbons are used as refrigerants
(b) Chlorofluorocarbons are used as fuel for air crafts
(c) Chlorofluorocarbons are used as repairers of the ozone layer
(d) Chlorofluorocarbons are used as repairers of the troposphere
Sol. (a) Chlorofluorocarbons are used as refrigerants.
2. The accumulation of chlorofluorocarbons above in the atmosphere results in the depletion of __________.
(c) The ozone layer
(d) All of the above
Sol. (c) The ozone layer.
3. Which of the following compounds are called the ozone-depleting substances?
(a) Carbon dioxide
(d) All of the above
Sol. (d) All of the above.
4. Which of the following is a substitute for chlorofluorocarbons?
Sol. (d) Dichlorodifluoromethane.
5. Which of the following is not true about the consequence of ozone layer depletion?
(a) Causes Tides
(b) Increase in the UV rays
(c) Increased Malignant melanoma
(d) Affects agricultural productivity
Sol. (a) Causes Tides.
6. When was the first ozone hole discovered?
(a) In the early 1950s
(b) Between 1960 and 1970
(c) Between 1980 and 1990
(d) 1990 to above
Sol. (c) Between 1980 and 1990.
7. The Montreal Protocol is an international treaty designed to protect the _________.
(a) Food chain
(b) Global warming
(c) Ozone layer depletion
(d) Controlling the pollution
Sol. (c) Ozone layer depletion.
8. The ozone layer depletion is found in _______.
Sol. (d) Stratosphere.
9. Which day is called the World’s Ozone day or the International Day for the preservation of the ozone layer?
(a) March 9th
(b) July 12th
(c) September 16th
(d) November 14th
Sol. (c) September 16th.
10. The Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) used in refrigerators is _______________.
(d) Carbon dioxide
Sol. (a) Freon.
Also Refer: Ozone Layer Healing
Stay tuned with CoolGyan’S Biology for more MCQs on chlorofluorocarbons, the pollution ozone layer, ozone layer depletion and other Biology related topics.