Interesting Facts About the Human Brain
The brain is a part of our body’s central nervous system. It is the most complicated part of the human body. Brain has the ability for sending and receiving a huge amount of information. Since it is so complex, there are a few things that the doctors and the scientists do not completely understand about it yet. This means that there are some interesting brain facts that you may not know about your own brain. Your brains allow you to process the world, to understand everything around you, learn about the new things, and paradoxically, it is still unclear of how much of your own brain functions. However, the modern neuroscience and the cognitive sciences have made some great strides for understanding the effect your brain has on your everyday functions. In this article, we will look at some interesting facts about the human brain. These amazing facts about brain also include the psychological facts about the human brain.
Image will be uploaded soon
Interesting Facts About the Brain
Let us take a look at some interesting facts about the human brain. The amazing facts about the human brain include the following:
20 Facts About The Brain
- Signs of the successful brain surgeries are dated as far back as during the Stone Age.
- An adult brain has a weight of around 3 pounds.
- Around 75 per cent of the brain is made of water. This signifies that dehydration, even in smaller amounts, has a greater negative effect on the functions of the brain.
- The largest-sized brain of any animal on the earth is that of the sperm whale. It has a weight of about 20 pounds.
- The human brain tends to grow three times than its size during the first year of life. It continues to grow until you grow around 18 years old.
- Headaches are generally caused due to the chemical reaction that occurs in your brain and is combined with the muscles and the nerves of your neck and the head.
- The human brain consists of roughly one hundred billion neurons.
- It is totally a myth that humans only use 10 per cent of their brain. Humans tend to actually use all of it. We are using even more than 10 per cent of the brain when we are sleeping.
- Cholesterol is known to be the key to learning and memory. However, higher-level of cholesterol has totally different effects which depend on your age and several other factors.
- Information keeps running between the neurons in your brain for every activity including everything you see, think, and do. These neurons move the information at varying speeds. The fastest speed for the information to pass between two different neurons is known to be about 250 mph.
- Dreams are known to be the combination of your imagination, several physiological factors, and several neurological factors. Dreams prove that your brain works even when you are asleep.
- The phantom limb pain syndrome occurs when the central nervous system, that includes your brain, starts to feel the pain of any limb which has been amputated.
- Your brain cannot feel any pain. It interprets the pain signals that are sent to it, but it does not feel any kind of pain.
- A brain freeze is actually a sphenopalatine ganglion neuralgia. It happens if you eat or drink which is cold. It tends to chill the blood vessels and the arteries in the very back of the throat, that includes the ones which take the blood to your brain. These vessels constrict when they are cold and then open back up when they are warm again, and this causes the pain in your forehead.
- The human brain starts to lose some of its memory abilities and some of the cognitive skills during your late 20s.
- The human brain starts to get smaller as you get older. This generally happens after the middle age.
- During the time of the mummification process, the Egyptians would generally remove the brains via the nose.
- Alcohol affects your brain in different ways which include blurry vision, slurred speaking, an unsteady walk, and much more. These symptoms generally disappear once you are sober again. However, if you are drinking often for longer periods of time, there is a piece of evidence which says that alcohol can have an effect on your brain permanently and cannot be reversed even once you are sober again. The long term effects include the memory issues and a reduced cognitive function.
- The eyewitness accounts of the criminal suspects are generally only around 50 per cent accurate since it is a bit difficult for your brain to remember the details of a person you are not familiar with. The traumatic events can also have an effect on the brain’s ability to remember the details.
- Your brain uses around 20 per cent of the oxygen and the blood from your body.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- What is the function of the brain?
The information from the different sense organs is collected by the brain. Here in the brain, it is used for determining what kind of actions the organism is about to take. The brain then processes the raw data collected to extract the information regarding the structure of the environment. Next, it combines this processed information along with the information regarding the current needs along with the memory of past circumstances. Finally, on the basis of the results, it finally generates the motor response patterns. These signal-processing tasks require an intricate interplay amongst the variety of functional subsystems.
- List 10 facts about the brain.
Given below are 10 facts about the brain.
- The brain is not able to feel any pain even when it has pain receptors. It consists of around 86 billion nerve cells.
- The brain can absorb about 0.025 kilowatts of the energy, that is enough to light up an electric light bulb.
- The neurons in the human brain can multiply at a rate of more than 200000 neurons per minute during the pregnancy.
- The brain works faster than the computer and is even capable of solving several problems more efficiently.
- The human brain continues growing until the age of 18 and has the memory capacity which is equivalent to or more than four terabytes on the hard drive.
- Seafood is known to be the most beneficial diet for the brain since it contains several fatty acids that can increase the performance of the brain up to 15%.
- Both the left and the right-hand side of the brain work together and there is no significant division between the two.
- During any kind of brain surgery, wherein a part of the brain is removed, has no effect on the memory or the personality.
- The human brain is much more active and tends to work faster if you are tired and during the times when you are sleeping.
- According to recent studies, the smell of chocolate can increase the brain waves that trigger the relaxation of the brain cells.