Acidity is also referred to as acid reflux. It is a common medical condition caused due to excessive production of acid by the stomach, which flows back into the food pipe and causes pain or burning sensation in the lower chest area. According to nutritionists, poor food habits and an unhealthy lifestyle are responsible for acidity in individuals.
Let us have an overview of the causes of acidity and acidity symptoms.
Causes of Acidity
The digestive fluid of the stomach also called the gastric juice or stomach acid is mainly composed of sodium chloride (NaCl), potassium chloride (KCl), and hydrochloric acid (HCl), Among these acids, the hydrochloric acid is the strong acid, which plays a vital role in the break down of food molecules and destroys the invading pathogens along with the food particles.
As the food particles move down into the stomach through the food pipe or oesophagus, the gastric glands present in the stomach produce the acid necessary to digest the food and kill any invading pathogens. In certain conditions, the gastric glands produce a large amount of acid, than usual to complete the digestion process. This results in acidity and burning sensation.
The main causes of the acidity are:
- Lack of physical activities
- Irregular and poor eating habits
- Eating spicy and oily foods
- Smoking and use of tobacco products
- Resting or lying down right after a meal
- Intake of more alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, and tea
- Apart from food items, medicines including ibuprofen, aspirin also cause acidity.
Also Read: Human Digestive System
Following are the important acidity symptoms:
- Bad Breath
- Stomach ulcers
- Excessive vomiting
- Sour taste in the mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Burning sensation in the stomach and throat.
- Severe pain in the chest or abdomen
These were the common acidity symptoms, and they may also vary based on the diet followed by an individual. This condition can be easily cured by taking certain medicines to reduce the excessive production of acid within the stomach. Other natural cure and precautions include following a healthy eating pattern including protein-rich foods and avoiding carbonated beverages, and certain spicy and oily foods.
Also Read: Role of Digestive Enzymes
Learn more about acidity symptoms and its causes only at CoolGyan’S Biology.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best treatments available for acidity?
The best treatment options available for acidity is the regular intake of safe and effective medications including esomeprazole, famotidine, Gaviscon and other antacids and indigestion drugs to prevent the overproduction of acids and provide relief from the pain and burning sensations.
List out the risk factors of acidity?
Acidity is a common medical condition, which affects people of all ages and sex. According to the records, more than 60 millions of people suffer from acidity and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. The main cause is the lifestyle factor, obesity and regular use of certain drugs.
What are the main acidity symptoms?
The major acidity symptoms include:
- Ulcers in stomach
What are the complications involved with acidity?
If the acidity is not treated before the symptoms worsen, it may lead to several complications including:
- Gastric ulcers
- Severe pain in the chest or abdomen
- Difficulties or pain in swallowing the food
- Other problems related to the digestive system.
How to prevent Acidity?
There are few precautions which need to be followed if a patient is suffering from the acidity. The precautions include:
- Having less and frequent meals.
- Regular walking and other physical activities.
- Wearing loose clothing to avoid pressure on the abdomen
- Reduce or avoid the consumption of spicy and deep-fried food items.
- Reduce the intake of food which may trigger the symptoms of acidity like citrus food, raw onions, milk, salt, chocolates, tea, coffee, alcohol, carbonated beverages, and other tobacco products.